Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sweet Potato Bundt Cake

Like any good American, I often buy things I don't necessarily need. And I'm particularly susceptible to this urge when I'm around kitchen gadgets. Exhibit 1 would be my recently purchased 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan. Fortunately, the Food Network came to my rescue.

For as long as I can remember, I've loved sweet potatoes. In grade school, our class was putting together a cook book, and we were all asked to bring in our favorite recipe. All the kids brought in recipes for typical kid fare: grilled cheese, ice cream sundaes, macaroni and cheese - normal kid stuff. My recipe involved a root vegetable: sweet potato pie.

After typing 'Bundt Pan" into the Food Network's search engine, I stumbled upon a recipe involving sweet potatoes. I figured I'd give it a try, and make good on my recent purchase. This recipe turned out really well, so I'd thought I'd share. Credit goes to Dave Lieberman.

WHAT TO GRAB:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups of cooked sweet potato meat (3 sweet potatoes)
3 eggs
3/4 cup water
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped

FOR THE GLAZE:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 to 3 tablespoons spiced rum
1 cup confectioner's sugar

HOW YOU DO IT:
1. Bake the sweet potatoes at 420 degrees for 1 hour 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.

2. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees and grease your Bundt pan.

3. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

4. In a separate, and LARGE mixing bowl, lightly mash the sweet potato. Whisk in the eggs, warm water, sugar, oil, and then vanilla extract (in that order).

5. Stir the dry ingredients into the sweet potato mixture, until well combined. Fold in the walnuts and raisins, and spoon into the prepared Bundt pan. Give the pan a good tap on the counter - it'll help get rid of air bubbles.

6. Bake for about 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. (I needed an extra ten minutes - so don't begrudge the cake a few extra minutes). Let the cake cool in the pan for about 20 to 30 minutes. Once cool, invert onto a cake stand.

7. Once cool. make the glaze: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and combine with the rum. Off the heat, whisk in the confectioner's sugar until smooth.*
*I halved the amount of butter and sugar, because I thought the original amount overwhelmed the cake. Also, do not make the glaze ahead of time - it will congeal into a gross lump!

8. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake, slice, and serve!

No comments: